Friday, November 19, 2010

Inspiration

M -

I don't know if you know this (how long has it been since we had a conversation like that?), but I have not been very inspired lately. Is it cynicism? Ennui? I cannot say. (Well I could...but I won't here!)

So it was with delight to read Zadie Smith in the New York Review of Books on the recent Facebook film. It was heartening to read someone write so beautifully about things I myself had thought around social media and the way we seem to look at, and relate to, each other.

I was so impressed by this piece that I picked up a copy of her novel On Beauty, which, interestingly, is a kind of period piece of the mid-decade that the Social Network is, although in a very different way. I enjoyed the book immensely, and in it rediscovered a love of reading I thought had disappeared (as it often does, and likely will again).

For right now though, things are good!

Although I don't get many commenters here, would anyone like to let me know what they've read lately that has reaffirmed their love of the written word?

2 comments:

Robert Gable said...

I'm reading David Thomson's biography of David O. Selznick. The writer is better than the subject, in this case.

Georgiana said...

I recently discovered Charles Stross, in particular the 'Laundry' series. I don't know if it qualifies as something that would reaffirm anyone else's love of the written word, but I'm finding it funny as hell, and enjoying it immensely....