Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Sign of the Times

Have we been reduced to taking pictures and building posts around them here at the Transcontinental?

While playing with my son at a park, I came across this sign:



As the sign says, the park has been "designed" for 2 to 5 year olds, so one can be assured that a phalanx of experts were consulted to ensure the everyone's child develops while they play. For that is what all the kids are doing these days - developing isn't just for teenage girls anymore!

Am I suspicious of the idea of childhood development? Well, yes. And, it seems, so is the Toronto District School Board - note the rules immediately below, which are the real reason I decided to snap and share this sign with you.

I suppose the Rules here are really meant for the parents. Perhaps we are meant to read them to our 2 to 5 year olds before they begin playing, and they are to sign a little form letting parents and the School Board know that they understand the rules.

However, it was rule 4 that really got me - "Think before you act". Ah yes, this is little bit of wisdom is well understood by the toddler set. Indeed, most children think before they act, which is why they tend to contravene the first three rules!

I can imagine many the small child thinking "walking won't get me to the slide soon enough, so I'll run", causing them to act.

Do you see how the oh so clever aphorism of the bureaucratic scribe who penned this edict slips away?

"But Daddy, I did think about it before I punched little Natalie!"

"Son, that's true. You upheld rule 4 of the playground despite breaking rule 1."

Two wrongs don't make a right, but what do a wrong and a right make?

No comments: